FreeBSD - rc.conf man page splitting.
Santiago Martinez
2021-05-23 20:20:45 UTC
Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well and safe.

Just wondering whats your view on splitting rc.conf man pages (per
section/topic), something similar to what it was done with zfs.

For example rc.conf-fw, rc.conf-network and so on. And yes if people
think is a good idea im happy to take the task.

Hope it make sense.

Santiago
Steve Kargl
2021-05-23 20:26:22 UTC
Post by Santiago Martinez
Just wondering whats your view on splitting rc.conf man pages (per
section/topic), something similar to what it was done with zfs.
For example rc.conf-fw, rc.conf-network and so on. And yes if people think
is a good idea im happy to take the task.
IMO, Bad idea (tm).
Steve
Santiago Martinez
2021-05-24 14:25:00 UTC
Ok, noted. my proposal come after looking for network parameters (which
also is a topic to talk about) the list is so huge that it doesn't not
make it simple.  But if this work for most, then i have to accommodate
to that!

Thanks for your feedback!

Santi
IMO, Bad idea (tm).
Alan Somers
2021-05-24 14:40:09 UTC
That man page is getting pretty big. However, it's not always obvious
which section a particular setting should be in. Right now, you can always
just search through the entire thing. But searching would be harder if it
were split up. So I vote to keep it together.
-Alan