Files in /etc containing empty VCSId header
Michael Gmelin
2021-05-20 16:37:05 UTC

After a binary update using freebsd-update, all files in /etc contain
"empty" VCS Id headers, e.g.,

$ head /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# nsswitch.conf(5) - name service switch configuration file
# $FreeBSD$
#
group: compat
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns
netgroup: compat
networks: files
passwd: compat

After migrating to git, I would've expected those to contain something
else or disappear completely. Is this expected and are there any plans
to remove them completely?

Best
Michael
Michael Gmelin
John Baldwin
2021-06-07 18:25:51 UTC
Post by Michael Gmelin
Hi,
After a binary update using freebsd-update, all files in /etc contain
"empty" VCS Id headers, e.g.,
$ head /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# nsswitch.conf(5) - name service switch configuration file
# $FreeBSD$
#
group: compat
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns
netgroup: compat
networks: files
passwd: compat
After migrating to git, I would've expected those to contain something
else or disappear completely. Is this expected and are there any plans
to remove them completely?
I believe we might eventually remove them in the future, but doing so
right now would introduce a lot of churn and the conversion to git
had enough other churn going on.
John Baldwin
Warner Losh
2021-06-07 19:53:01 UTC
Post by John Baldwin
Post by Michael Gmelin
Hi,
[...]
We'd planned on not removing things that might be merged to stable/12 since
those releases (12.3 only I think) will be built out of svn. We'll likely
start to
remove things more widely as the stable/12 branch reaches EOL and after.

Warner
Ian Lepore
2021-06-07 19:58:01 UTC
Post by Warner Losh
Post by John Baldwin
Post by Michael Gmelin
Hi,
[...]
It would be really nice if, instead of just deleting the $FreeBSD$
markers, they could be replaced with the path/filename of the file in
the source tree. Sometimes it's a real interesting exercise to figure
out where a file on your runtime system comes from in the source world.
All the source tree layout changes that happened for packaged-base
makes it even more interesting.

-- Ian