FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-amd64-20210408-15dc713ceb5-245885-memstick.img fails to boot on Haswell-based laptop.
Lev Serebryakov
2021-04-15 15:04:55 UTC
I'm trying to install CURRENT (FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-amd64-20210408-15dc713ceb5-245885-memstick.img) snapshot onto Lenovo Thinkpad T540p, i7-4700 based laptop.

Kernel traps on boot with "Fatal trap 9" and this stack trace (hand-copied):

calltrap()
--- trap 0x9
run_interrupt_driven_config_hooks()
boot_run_interrupt_driven_config_hooks()
mi_startup()

It is 100% reproducible, and I cannot issue commands to kernel debugger, keyboard is dead.

Enabling verbose boot helps, with verbose boot it boots to installer.

Looks like some race condition.

Is it known problem?
// Lev Serebryakov
Dmitry Chagin
2021-04-15 18:41:04 UTC
Post by Lev Serebryakov
I'm trying to install CURRENT (FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-amd64-20210408-15dc713ceb5-245885-memstick.img) snapshot onto Lenovo Thinkpad T540p, i7-4700 based laptop.
calltrap()
--- trap 0x9
run_interrupt_driven_config_hooks()
boot_run_interrupt_driven_config_hooks()
mi_startup()
It is 100% reproducible, and I cannot issue commands to kernel debugger, keyboard is dead.
Enabling verbose boot helps, with verbose boot it boots to installer.
Looks like some race condition.
Is it known problem?
try to boot verbose
Post by Lev Serebryakov
--
// Lev Serebryakov
Lev Serebryakov
2021-04-15 19:12:57 UTC
Post by Dmitry Chagin
Post by Lev Serebryakov
Enabling verbose boot helps, with verbose boot it boots to installer.
Looks like some race condition.
try to boot verbose
It helps. Sometimes. And soemtimes even verbose boot gives same Fatal Trap with same stacktrace.

It is why I think it is some race condition.
// Lev Serebryakov
Lev Serebryakov
2021-04-15 19:19:42 UTC
Post by Dmitry Chagin
Post by Lev Serebryakov
calltrap()
--- trap 0x9
run_interrupt_driven_config_hooks()
boot_run_interrupt_driven_config_hooks()
mi_startup()
It is 100% reproducible, and I cannot issue commands to kernel debugger, keyboard is dead.
Enabling verbose boot helps, with verbose boot it boots to installer.
Looks like some race condition.
Is it known problem?
try to boot verbose
It is funny, but boot-verbose helps on battery and doesn't help with AC. I think, it is because with AC plugged in CPU is set to "performance" mode and delay from printing verbose information is not enough!
// Lev Serebryakov
Lev Serebryakov
2021-04-24 14:19:57 UTC
Post by Lev Serebryakov
Post by Dmitry Chagin
Post by Lev Serebryakov
calltrap()
--- trap 0x9
run_interrupt_driven_config_hooks()
boot_run_interrupt_driven_config_hooks()
mi_startup()
   It is 100% reproducible, and I cannot issue commands to kernel debugger, keyboard is dead.
   Enabling verbose boot helps, with verbose boot it boots to installer.
   Looks like some race condition.
   Is it known problem?
try to boot verbose
It is funny, but boot-verbose helps on battery and doesn't help with AC. I think, it is because with AC plugged in CPU is set to "performance" mode and delay from printing verbose information is not enough!
Same panic with much more recent kernel, again, only if AC power is connected...
--
// Lev Serebryakov